Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Unemployed is Just Another Word for Full Time Writer

I've lost another job, and when I was summarily handed my walking papers on Monday without notice, a little part of me jumped up and said Squeee!!!

I have the worst luck when it comes to jobs. This last one, for instance, was the perfect job - I had all the right skills, it paid well, there was opportunity for advancement, it was only part time work for the first year, with an anticipated rise to full time over the summer - in short, it would pay the bills, give me something interesting to do and allow me to finish my novel all at once.

What I didn't anticipate was a boss (who hired me to take over) unwilling to allow another person to take over. Yep, it was classic internal conflict played out in uncomfortable office politics. It seems the boss had imagined handing the organization off to a clone of himself, and when I didn't fit the mold things became dicey. So, a few 'missteps' in funding applications, a few 'crossed wires' with sponsors and suddenly there is no money to pay me, so vwla la - I am done for.

I should be sad. I should be concerned for the future. All I can think is: Woot! I can write all day every day until I find another job!

My work life is in shambles, but my personal life is rock solid and the Novel is on-track for being hard-edited and ready to submit by July - earlier if I don't find work right away.

One benefit to not being able to afford food - dieting is easy!

1 comment:

Douglas Underhill said...

Sounds like your capacity to write will wildly outstrip my capacity to edit, but I'll keep at it. Good luck as a full-time writer! I envy your time but not your anxieties, which I know all too well.